Photo: What can you do with ChatGPT? Credits: Unsplash.
By Laura Muñoz Tarrío
What is ChatGPT?
ChatGPT is a chat system based on the GPT-3.5 (Generative Pretrained Transformer) language model, developed by the American research laboratory OpenAI. It is characterized by using deep learning to produce texts that simulate human writing, so it is considered an artificial intelligence.
How to use ChatGPT?
ChatGPT offers two different versions, a free one, which uses the GPT-3.5 language model, and a paid one, which uses the more modern and advanced GPT-4 model. To use it, just follow these steps:
- Create a free account on the OpenAI website: to get one you only need to enter an e-mail address and a password.
- Log in: once an account has been created, you will have to log in with your email and password to start using the tool.
- Start chatting: when you enter the chat, the menu will appear in English. However, the tool will automatically switch to writing in the language in which you start talking to it. A good way to start the conversation would be with a “hello” so that it understands that you want to chat in Spanish.
- Ask or request: then you can ask any question or request. These can range from “What should I wear to a job interview?” to “Write me an article on quantum physics”, ChatGPT will answer everything.
An important fact when using ChatGPT is that its knowledge does not go beyond September 2021, so it will not be able to provide accurate information about events or developments after that date. On the other hand, this chatbot stores in its left side menu all the queries made by the user, thereby allowing you to review your history of questions and answers whenever you want.
Photo: What can you do with ChatGPT? Credits: Pexels.
How to use ChatGPT in business?
- Customer care: one of the most prominent applications of ChatGPT in the business landscape is to improve customer care. Companies can integrate this tool into their websites or mobile applications to provide automatic answers to frequently asked questions, as well as to offer immediate assistance 24 hours a day.
- Content generation: ChatGPT can help companies generate content, as it can write copies, articles or posts for social networks. However, these should always be reviewed by a professional to ensure their quality.
- Automation of repetitive tasks: ChatGPT can automate repetitive tasks such as scheduling meetings, managing emails and generating reports, allowing employees to focus on higher-value strategic functions.
- Translation and localization: In an increasingly globalized world, ChatGPT can be useful for content translation and localization, which can be of particular interest to companies looking to expand into international markets. However, as with content generation, further review by a professional editor is recommended.
- Ideation: Having been trained on a large amount of textual data, ChatGPT has the ability to provide information, suggestions and creative approaches on a variety of topics.
These are just some of the tasks that ChatGPT can perform, but the possibilities it offers are practically endless. Therefore, the user can try out different commands to get to know everything that can be done with the tool.
ChatGPT Prompts, what are they?
A ‘prompt’ is the instruction or command used to interact with an artificial intelligence system. These can be from one sentence to one or several paragraphs. Therefore, a ‘prompt’ in ChatGPT is everything that is written in the chat waiting for a response from the tool.
To know which is the “perfect” instruction for the request you want to make, it is best to try different formulas when requesting information: the more detailed the command is, the more accurate the tool’s response will be. Here are some tips to follow:
- Clarity and conciseness: expressing the request clearly and directly, avoiding ambiguity, will result in clearer responses.
- Context: providing context to the request will make the chat understand the subject and purpose of your instruction. You can include additional details or background, for example.
- Specific questions: to find a specific answer, a specific question should be asked.
- Examples: providing an example of what you need can help the model better understand the request and generate more appropriate responses.
- Review and adjustment: if the chat response is not as expected, you can adjust or rephrase the request to get a different and more accurate one.
Italy bans ChatGPT, what other countries or companies are doing the same?
While ChatGPT offers many advantages, it also poses challenges and concerns that must be addressed to ensure that it is not used inappropriately or in a harmful manner. Likewise, it should also be noted that the use of this tool may compromise personal or business data, as their own website warns that conversations may be reviewed by their AI trainers to improve their systems.
In March 2023, Italy banned the use of ChatGPT for alleged unlawful collection of personal data and, although the order is temporary, it will not be withdrawn until the tool complies with the European General Data Protection Regulation. In other countries such as Russia, China, North Korea, Iran, Belarus or Venezuela the tool cannot be used either, in most cases, due to the restriction they impose on the Internet and Western portals.
In Spain, chat continues to work, but there are already several companies that are prohibiting or limiting its use. One of them is Teléfonica, which only allows it if the account has been hired and is controlled by the corporation itself. BBVA, for its part, bans its use in general, but employees can request authorization to use it if it can help them, while Mapfre and Repsol are working on protocols to ensure that it is used safely and ethically.
In conclusion, ChatGPT can be of help and inspiration for owners and employees, as it helps to solve doubts, generate ideas or write texts. However, the company must bear in mind that the tool collects the data provided to continue “training”, so it has the responsibility to regulate its use and ensure that it does not introduce compromised or confidential data. Beyond this, chat is another tool that can be used in the business environment, always under professional supervision.