The initiative considers 6 strategic priorities for Europe and Spain: Digital health, Energy transition and reindustrialisation, Sustainable mobility and infrastructures, Agriculture and the primary sector, Tourism and the Digitalisation of the country.
Genewin’s first priority was to address digital health and at the initial roundtable, five different initiatives were proposed to help strengthen the healthcare system, with special emphasis placed on retaining talent, the patient, and using digitisation to drive change.
In December last year, the Genewin project was launched by a group of executives from leading innovation companies such as: Endeavor, Fundación Transforma España, Lanzadera, Telefónica Open Future, South Summit, Barcelona TechCity and Opinno. Its motto, “Civil society at the service of the country”, leaves no doubt as to its raison d'être.
Its first initiative, the digital health roundtable brought together more than 40 healthcare organisations from the pharmaceutical, hospital management, insurance and startup ecosystems.
“We are addressing the Ministry of Health and the health ministers of different autonomous communities in particular. We are proposing initiatives that will strengthen our healthcare system, with an emphasis on its digitalisation in order to offer a better service and guarantee that the entire system is sustainable. Spain has an opportunity to lead the digital inclusion of the healthcare workforce and position itself as a global reference for digital therapies” – says María Clara Cano Gracia, an expert at the digital health roundtable and Head of Digital Transformation at Novartis Pharmaceuticals.
The work initially involved identifying strategic challenges that needed to be resolved in order to drive healthcare digitalisation and generating proposals for projects to be implemented at a European and Spanish level. The following 4 major strategic challenges were defined as a result:
- To position Spain as the focal point for talent and investment in digital healthcare
- To effectively digitise the patient journey and patient experience
- To promote the healthcare system's sustainability
- To achieve effective, sustainable, transparent and ethical patient empowerment.
A group of more than 40 experts set to work to identify possible solutions based on these challenges. This work resulted in more than 40 proposals for ideas. In the end, the report produced by the Digital Health roundtable incorporated the following Proposal for 5 Ideas to overcome the 4 challenges raised.
- INNOVATION, EDUCATION AND RESEARCH HUB: with the aim of uniting the entire health ecosystem, attracting external talent and assisting the sector in keeping up to date with developments in digital innovation.
- 2INTEROPERABILITYOFTHEHEALTHCARESYSTEM: with the aim of digitalising patient journeys, favouring a more agile and personal doctor-patient relationship, and working efficiently with health data.
- DIGITAL EDUCATION FOR THE HEALTH PROFESSION: integrating technology and innovation subjects into curricula, and guaranteeing knowledge of digitisation and data analysis for health professionals.
- A TALENT COMMUNITY: creating a research community among local and foreign talent and providing incentives that facilitate national talent returning to the country from abroad.
- DIGITAL INCLUSIVITY FOR PATIENTS AND HEALTHCARE STAFF: providing training in digital skills and tools for all stakeholders involved, and accompanying them in their process of change.
Work is currently underway on the next two roundtables (Energy transition and reindustrialisation and Sustainable mobility and infrastructures), and over the next few months the remaining three roundtables (Agriculture and primary sector, Tourism and the Digitalisation of the country) are expected to begin, thus completing the five strategic priorities defined by Genewin.
Abbott, Additum, Almirall, Amadix, Amgen, Asabys, ASD, Barcelona Health HUB, Barcelona Tech City, Bayer, Boehringer Ingelheim, Cantabria Labs, Chemo, Chiesi, Cofares, DKV, Endeavor, Everis, Ferrer, Fundación Transforma, GSK, HM Hospitales, Hospital 12 de Octubre, IESE, ILLINOIS, IOB, Lanzadera, Made of Genes, MediQuo, Merck, Novartis, nQ Medical, Opinno, Pfizer, Psicología en Casa, Quibim, Quirón Salud, Laboratorios Rubió, Savia, South Summit, Telefónica Open Future, Universidad Politécnica, Zendal. Work is currently underway on the next two roundtables (Energy transition and reindustrialisation and Sustainable mobility and infrastructures), and over the next few months the remaining three roundtables (Agriculture and primary sector, Tourism and the Digitalisation of the country) are expected to begin, thus completing the five strategic priorities defined by Genewin.
A brief summary of the proposed project ideas is currently available on their website: www.genewin.es;
Genewin, civil society at the service of the country